Friday, August 13, 2010

A Walk With My Gramps


A WALK WITH MY GRAMPS


The tale of a Kid merely Seven
ignorant of another reason to cry
lest parted of chocolates or cricket
Left in that gloom pervaded scene

Cries of anguish, pain and love
as someone made me touch a feet
squalled on my face.. uttered
" You wont see your grandfather again "

Settled on that white cotton fiber cot
untouched by the grief that summoned
wearing small white shirt and blue shorts
bewildering.. what might have happened

Even then i could not sense the sadness
the funny shaped clouds over, showed
the half hidden drops of dew still smiling
smiling at a grand son without a tear

Those were the wee hours of the dawn
being the only living soul with dried cheeks
even the pigeon on the roof sat still
i wished i could hear somebody speak

Looking at all those familiar faces crying
younger ones might be crying in fear
elder ones might be understanding all
i was in the middle of my own quest

Looking at my father jolted i got off
asked him.. why are you crying baba
he put his big palms on my small head
its no disgrace for a man to shed tears

My grandfather lay still unmoved
my big family all shouting and pushing
indeed he was dead.. and i was still
a voice said its time and cries became louder

They took the cot i was sitting on turned that upside down
the elder ones took my grandpa on to the cot
my mother holding my granny and all shouting for my grand pa
now out of the house i have never seen so many people cry

Then came the walk that remains ignited in my heart
those sounds of ram naam satya hai
i was walking just behind my grandpa
sheer anxiety to see something new

Four years past a decade gone
you didn't even took my shoulder
i cant even cry for the times i have not
the big family u left behind will enquire

Those beautiful black eyes with serenity of night
i still find when i look at those bright stars
watch us from the heavens above
sending all your kisses wrapped in love

I never listened to your last words
your son says u said "Miss me always, but let my soul set free"
we did that for you gramps
there is no forced air of solemnity around.. its all free

If u read this grand pa.. we have a lot in common
things that everybody knows we both do
and things that not everybody knows i do
I love you for you gave me your genes

That's the only time i remember
I WALKED WITH MY GRAMPS
everybody says he has just slipped into another room
i say.. HE NOW LIVES IN A CITY.. WHERE ROSES NEVER FADE

0 comments:

Post a Comment